Tuesday, April 2, 2013

First world problems...who is this crazy person?

We are a culture obsessed with technology, I know, I know you're saying "tell me something I don't know". Wanna know how I have come to terms with this realization? Our internet has been out at our house for the last few days. For the Struthers family this mean no pinterest, no netflix, no xbox live....WHAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?! Sure, I can use my phone with my limited internet access, that sounds like a brilliant idea. Or not. Besides, who wants to look at that tiny screen for a long period of time? Not this girl. As I was saying, the internet being out has caused me to rethink how I spend my time. I don't even consider myself one of those people that is always on their phone or obsessed with social media. Sure, I am on facebook a few times a day but I am not as bad as "that one girl". So, why am I regularly thinking about what to post on my facebook status or twitter, or making sure I take a picture to post on facebook or, and this is the worst one, "OMG, that person defriended me on facebook!!!" Who is this person?  Five years ago I would have said, "I don't need a smart phone" and now, let's be honest, I could not survive the perils of this world without my Iphone...and I don't even have SIRI!!! When was the last time I read a book? More importantly, when was the last time I read my bible? Wellllll, I read my bible on my phone, that counts...right...yes...maybe? Maybe for some it is the same thing, but not for me.

I'm not really sure where I am going with these thoughts other than I have resolved to pick up a book more often. Now, will the modem that is the nemesis behind our internet outage be replaced in the near future? Duh, of course. But, this internet outage has definitely been a reminder of a few things. For one, how dependent we are on technology (and how scary that thought is) and also how we of this generation need to remember that happiness exists outside of twitter, facebook, instagram and Safari. Well, if you are reading this, maybe it might be a good idea to ponder what you would do without technology. Food for thought. Or maybe just food for my thoughts. Blessings to you in your conclusions about technology.

That's what's up...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment